Electrical Wiring in the Home/Spark at wire

Hi Bill...I took down a small light fixture from the ceiling in my home office.  Was about to put up a ceiling fan with a light at that same location.  I turned the wall switch off that controls that particular light, but forgot to turn the breaker off.  

So when I was about to hook up the new ceiling fan/light...I started sliding the wires through the ceiling fans mounting bracket.  In those 5 seconds it took me to do that a big pop and spark exploded right in front of me. Dumb me realized just then that even though the light switch was off...I'm assuming there probably was some electrical current still hot in one of the wires (maybe the white neutral).  

I can not see any evidence of any damages to any of the wires coming down from the ceiling.  I guess my concern is....could there be any damage to the wiring invisible to me in the ceiling???  I don't wanna put this ceiling fan up for fear of a home fire.

On a side note....all the outlets and switches in the office stayed on during this accident and they ALL still work just fine with computers, lamps, etc. plugged in.

What do you think???
Thank you, Brent

Hi Brent,

It is not likely that you damaged the wire. You should re-do the connections and re=twist the wire. You should also check to see if your circuit breaker tripped. It should have. If not you should replace the circuit breaker. This maybe a job you want to hire an electrician for.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.