Electrical Wiring in the Home/Sub panel

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I have a 200 amp breaker in the garage that comes off the meter.  The main breaker then goes thru the walls and down into the main breaker panel in the basement.  I would like to install a sub panel next to the 200 amp. Breaker in the garage ( I only have one outlet in the garage ).  What would be the correct way to do this?  Thanks.

ANSWER: Phil,

What do you want to be able to run in the garage, in other words what are you looking for in terms of circuits and power for the sub panel ?

60 amps , 100 amps, 6 circuits, 12 circuits, 20 circuits ?

Bob

QUESTION: Probably a100 amp panel.  I would like to wire an air compressor.  Circuits for a 120v. Welder drills, grinder.  Usual garage items.

Answer
With out seeing exactly what you have there I can't really say what the correct way would be.

Does the cable that goes to the 200 amp panel go out the back of the 200 amp breaker enclosure ?

Send me a pic of the 200 amp breaker and the general area its in.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman