Electrical Wiring in the Home/Sub panel

Bill, thanks for the response.  Another question about a sub panel for my own knowledge.  I have seen some houses where they have run a piece of plastic conduit off the meter socket, goes a few feet, and goes into the garage.  Is there space in the meter socket to run another cable for a125 amp. sub panel?  Remember I have a 200 amp. breaker in the garage.  I know my limitations and would have an electrical contractor do the hook up.  THANKS.

HI Phil,

There are several ways to accomplish the task you are asking. Most depends on the current equipment you have and the layout of your space. When you peak with an electrician they will have a better idea of what they feel is the easiest way to achieve your goal.

Some meter sockets allow you to have two taps for two panels. Others do not.
You could also have a metal box under the 200amp disconnect. In that box you cam bug both panels to be controlled by that 200amp switch.
That box could also go above the panel. Then you would have two switches controlling you home. You are allowed up to 6.

An electrician will be able to help you out.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.