Electrical Wiring in the Home/Switch Removal

Question
Hello, I have a 1930's home. In each room, there is a light switch that controls one or more receptacles. These switches are not used, and whenever guests would come over, they would hit the switch and kill whatever is connected to that outlet.I would like to know what is the best method of removing these switches. Could the wires come and going to the switch just be tied together?
Thanks for the help!

Answer
Alfred,

I understand its a pain in the neck but the code requires that you be able to turn a light on in a room as you enter so you should not take it out. You could have a ceiling outlet installed that this switch could control instead and then the receptacle(s) controlled by the switch would be on all the time. I've done many conversions like this and it is a bit of work especially if its on the first floor with no attic space above.
So I can't tell you thats its OK to do this and I don't recomend you do it either as it will lessen the value of your house and most likely be spotted in a home inspection as a negative should you sell the house.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman