Electrical Wiring in the Home/Switch not worling

The light and fan switch in my spare room worked fine until today. I turn them on nothing. Checked the breaker all was fine. I went and got a night light  to check if the outlets worked or not when plugging the nightlight into the nearest outlet the light and fan came on. When night light was removed the fan and light shut off. What's wrong it's got me puzzled.

Sometimes when a wire comes loose, two devices will be in series with each other.  However, the night light has less resistance, so it should come on, not the fan.  The other possibility is that there is a problem with the outlet.

I would replace the outlet, and see if it helps.  Some outlets have holes in the back were you can push the wires.  But sometimes these fail, so it is always best to use the screws. If that does not help, look for loose wires, especially under the wire nuts.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.