Electrical Wiring in the Home/wire size and type for underground service

Could you tell me what size of aluminum wire to use to run from a meter base for a distance of 500 feet to  provide a 200 amp service to a shop. Your help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

This is a good question. For something like this I would be looking at the cost and load of the end use. There will be some voltage drop but if your shop is not using much electricity 200amp SER cabe maybe fine. If you are using electrical equipment that make large start up demand you will need to use a larger 300amp SER cable.

This is a job that you will need to hire a pro for. If your shop does any type of manufacturing you should hire an engineer (and use copper). If you shop is really a man cave I do not thing you will even use 100amp at any given time.

It comes down to what your load will be and how much more you want to spend on material. Code wise I believe it is 10% voltage drop for every 100 feet. Most of our work is in the city so I don't normally need to make long runs.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.