Electrical Wiring in the Home/wire size and type for underground service

I am looking to run a cable underground from my meter for a distance of 500 feet to service a  single phase 200 amp panel in my shop. What would you recommend as far as size and type in aluminum or copper wire as the most cost efficient way to do this job?

I personally aways use copper conductors to eliminate the possibility of future corrosion, so this is for copper conductors:
2 - 4/0 for the hot legs
1 - 2/0 for the neutral
1 - #1 for the ground

Keep in mind for a panel or sub panel a ground rod must also be installed and connected to the ground bar in the panel and you will need a #4 bare copper conductor to attach the panel to the rod. Also depending on your location two ground rods may need to be installed. Check with the local inpsection department for this and how far apart they must be if two are required. Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook

General electrical wiring, including but not limited to, residential, panelboards, control wiring, low voltage wiring, Heating and A/C control wiring, single and three phase wiring.

I have been doing electrical since high school. I have been licensed by the State of North Carolina for ten years and am currently the Building Maintenance Superintendent for a municipality. I have extensive control wiring experience.

Refrigeration Service Engineers Society.