Electrical Wiring in the Home/wiring 220v from panel to attached garage

\hi there....

Chad here, say i want to wire 220v wire from my home breaker panel to my garage.... the distance from the panel to garage is appox 50ft...  the 220v wire will run from the breaker panel up through open ceiling joists in the basement to a sub-paneel in the attached garage witch is drywalled and insullated.... but needs more power to run a 5000w electric heater.. and more 110 recepticals... can u please give me a breakdown of suppies i will need to complete this task....  i Was thinking 60amp 220 breaker and a 4 breaker sub panel in the garage were i can run 1 20amp breaker for the heater and another 2 15 amp breakers for more plugs and lighting...?  please so kindly advise....  \okotoks alberta canada\

thanks for ur promt reply and happy new year

Yes, 60 amps sounds reasonable.  You will need wire. What gauge depends on what kind of wire.  The retailer should have the ampacity charts for the wire that they sell.  You will need the breakers, breaker box, cable clamps, staples, the assorted outlets and wire inside the garage. Since it is only 50 feet, it may be easier just to run the 3 circuits from your main box.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.