Electrical Wiring in the Home/wiring a ceiling fan

Question
QUESTION: We are remodeling our sunroom for an all season room. Wired the room for 6 can lights. We now want to add a ceiling fan. How can we add the ceiling fan to the existing wiring and run off of one switch. We also want to be able to dim the can lights.

ANSWER: Carol,

Assuming you brought the "power" cable from where ever you tapped power from into the switch box for the lights you would change this switch box to a "2 gang" box (dimmer and switch) and run another 2 wire cable out of it to the fan which gives you separate control over each one. Then you would install a dimmer in the switch box for the lights.

However if you didn't wire it this way and ran the power into one of the cans first and just ran a 2 wire cable "switch leg" down to the switch, you will need to change that cable to 3 wire and run another 2 wire cable out of that can to the box for the paddle fan.

Bob

QUESTION: Problem is we have already set the can lights and the drywall is finished. Someone mentioned using a remote control kit with big enough wattage to run everything. I have been looking online at lutron and they make a fan and lights combo 300 watt for lights and 2.5 amp for fan which is up to 7 speeds. Do you know anything about these?

Answer
Yes that is a problem.

Those remotes have been around for a long time already and they are great when they work but longevity isn't a strong point. They are not as reliable as a normal switch. I don't recomend using one of those in this situation.

The best approach would be to try to get another "power cable" from another part of the house, maybe through the attic or an adjacent room to the spot on the ceiling you want the fan located. Or possibly getting the feed from the switch box if you have it there or from one of the cans in the ceiling if you have it there. Then you could use a remote to control the fan and a light if you wish.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman