Electrical Wiring in the Home/WIring in a recessed light fixture

Question
Hi. I tried to wire in a light fixture and I think it shorted the circuit. WHen I tried to flip the breaker switch, it sparked and now it won't come on. I think I may have crossed the wires but not sure. I pulled the wires out of an old flourescent tube fixture aand tried to hook them up to a new fixture so had the power source hooked up the black to black and white to white and green to green.
1. Can you let me know what the solution is for the breaker panel or if I need an electrician.
2. Is there any other reason the circuit would have shorted besides the wires being crossed? I think I left to much bare wire exposed.
I replaced 2 other fixtures of this sort last year andhad no problems.
Thanks,Kathy

Answer
If you have indicated all of the wires that were in the light attachement box your wiring is correct and you may have had a bare spot exposed that shorted. You can test the circuit by disconnecting all three wires and cap them off and see if the breaker resets. If it does the circuit is fine. Reconnect the wires to the fixture and be sure there are no exposed bare spots and try it again. If it now trips it damaged the ballast and it shorted and is now creating the breaker tripping problem. If you have more than just the three wires in the lighting box other than one black, one white and one ground let me know as it also could be a wiring problem. Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook