Electrical Wiring in the Home/chg 2 prong outlets to 3 prong

Question
view of wire
view of wire  

view of box
view of box  
My son's house is wired with 1960's vintage narax type nm 14 ga 2t w/a 16 ga. ground wire. (pics attached if I did it right)All the outlets have 2 prong rect. and the 16 ga ground wires are just clipped together in the box.
Can we just change the 2 prong outlets over to 3 prong using the 16 ga ground wire as the ground or would it cause problems in the event of a short to ground? I guess I am worried about being 16 ga heating up in the event of a short. maybe I am wrong and the breaker will trip before that happens. Would adding gfci's as the first rect make any difference if the ground thickness is a issue? Oh,and it looks like his panel box was updated to a 200 amp system before he purchased the house this summer.

Answer
jerry
Yes you can as it is only one gauge down from the main wire in the box and it was installed in the romex. So this is approved,ground wires do not carry any kind of load they are there to protect the user from getting a shock if the box is hot without a ground you can receive a shock if the hot wire touched the box.

Since you have the ground wire in the box buy a green grounding pigtail or just make sure the box is also grounded along with the outlet.Also since the boxes you are using are not wide wrap a good quality electrical tape around the screws to prevent them from coming in contact with the box.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben