Electrical Wiring in the Home/installing a ceiling fan

Question
I am trying to install a ceiling fan and am struggling.  From the ceiling I have 3 runs of romex, I think I have traced one to a duplex receptacle, one to the fixture switch and one to the fixture, but when I wire them I can get the fan to work but the switch will not turn it off.  How do I wire this correctly, or do i have a bad switch.

Answer
From all three sets the only totally common conductor will be the ground, so first connect all of the ground wires together so they are out of the way. The hot circuit will be coming from the receptacle if in fact this romex comes from the duplex. Connect the white of this romex to the white of the fixture, this will complete the neutral circuit portion. The black wire from the duplex will connect to the black going to the switch. The white of the switch romex now becomes another hot wire or the return hot from the switch and will be connected to the black of the fixture. Now the switch will operate the fan. Thanks
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook