Electrical Wiring in the Home/Multiple timers on one circuit (single circuit breaker)

Question
Our sprinkler system operates through a programmable timer.  We installed a timer switch for our exterior garage light on the same circuit (same circuit breaker, different outlet) and it now interferes with the sprinkler programming.  Every time the garage light goes on, the sprinkler's program gets messed up.  This occurs both when the light timer is in the programmed mode and the light cycles on, and when the garage light program is off and the light is turned on manually.  This does not happen in reverse: when the sprinkler turns on, it does not affect operation of the garage light.
Can you explain what is happening and what we can do to fix the problem?  Thank you.

Answer
Mary,

It shouldn't interfere so check your connections and make sure they are correct and tight. In other words make sure the sprinkler isn't switched with the light which could throw it off. Sprinkler timers usually have a back up battery to keep them going in the event of an outage which would tend to negate what I just said but check it anyway and see what you find.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman