Electrical Wiring in the Home/old house wiring

Question
Hello, my question is, just moved into a 130 year old home. In most rooms there are no wall switches, no ceiling lights only wall mounted fixtures.Although a couple of these rooms I noticed a ceiling patch directly centered in room. I cut a small hole to find a single wire taped off. Another wire running next to it with no signs of a connection possibility ( solid uncut wire, looks to run to a nearby wall light). These rooms have a wall switch that controls the wall lights.  I would like ceiling lights in these rooms but not sure why only one wire. Any ideas???

Answer
Robert that is a totally new one on me too. My own home is about that age and had knob and tube wiring still hot upstairs, but even with that there were two wires. Even if there was a way to utilitze this, as old as it is I would be afraid of it. There are slim chances that this wire could be used as a pull wire to pull in new wire, but there are many ways electricians use to run in new wire. I would opt to have a few look at it and give you their opinions and by what methods they would use to run new wiring. Thanks, J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook