Electrical Wiring in the Home/plug

Hi, basically, my new (to me) dryer wouldnt run.. they took it, and my old one back to their shop, both work fine.  He said that my plug here is wired for both 110/120 and 220 and that the 220 isnt working, it burned out.  The only reason my old dryer still ran is cuz it uses both, but the heater only uses 220...which is why it stopped heating... ive never heard of such a thing, but I looked and the plug box does say 120/240v so, maybe its true. ?.. guy said he MIGHT be able to rewire box, if the rest of wires, through house, arent burned out..  does this sound right??   I never even tripped a fuse, which are 2 30 amps dedicated to the dryer, by the way.  Thanks in advance.

Appliances that use 220 volts use two 120 volt lines. In order for it to work, the two lines must be on opposite phases.  In other words, two 120 volt lines come into your house from the power company, and in order to get 220 volts, the lines must be connected to both of the lines coming in.

Wires do not "burn out." I am not sure what he means.  They may become damaged. Wiring that is damaged in other parts of the house do not affect the dryer. Only the wires from the dryer to the panel box, and the wires from the panel box to the power company.

You may want to get a second opinion.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.