Electrical Wiring in the Home/Troubleshooting breaker issue

Troubleshooting question:  A few days ago 15 amp AFCI breaker tripped, so went down to basement and flipped it back on, that immediately tripped it again. Therefore, went back up to the bedroom and bathroom that breaker is assigned to and turned everything off and unplugged everything from outlets; went back and flipped it back on and it was good it stayed on. However, as soon as i turn on any of the lights it trips off again. All of the outlets work tested it with a table lamp.  However, as soon as I turn the any of the light switches it trips again.  There are total of 5 switches that cause breaker to trip; one controls bedroom celling fan light the other the ceiling fan, another is hallway light, another bathroom vanity light and last one is for bathroom fan/light.  No matter which switch of those 5 I turn on it trips the breaker. So next thing I did was check the breaker, breaker is good. Then i checked all the switches and switches are good. Then I looked at wiring of all the fixtures and everything seemed firmly in place, nothing melted, nothing weird to my amateur eyes.  Any ideas what could be causing this?  I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank you.

This won't be fun but start disconnecting the easiest light fixtures first. One by one. Once they've been disconencted flip the switch and see what happens. Its strange that each one by itself is doing it and that 5 different fixtures could be causing the same thing but its the best place to start and see what you get.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.