Electrical Wiring in the Home/upgrading and relocating residential service

Question
Dear Ben,
  We are building a large addition (family room, bedroom, bath) onto a ranch home (slab) built in the late 1980's. We are fairly certain the home has 100 amp service (small breaker box, reads 100 on the main), but have not received confirmation on this from either the electrician or the power company. No one seems to know what the heck we have. We've received differing opinions from 2 individuals on what type of wiring we have connecting to the box.  Because we are adding onto the back of the garage, the current location of the meter, it must be moved to the side of the garage. We also want to upgrade from 100 to 200 to accommodate the additional electrical needs.
  We had someone from the electric company come out and do a site assessment. She was made aware that we wanted to upgrade from 100 to 200 as well as relocate the service. She advised us that the cheapest method would involve splicing into the existing underground service lateral. If not this method, then we would have to cut down/remove several trees in order to run overhead wires and connect at the pole. She advised me to call the county building department to see if this was permitted, and I discovered that it was, as indicated in Article 230 of the Ohio code (we are in Lake county).
  When I contacted our electrician with this info (we are acting as general contractor, and will be purchasing all of the materials), he told me that you cannot splice into existing 100 wire when you are upgrading to 200 service. If this is true, shouldn't the power company rep and the building department have mentioned this? I don't know what to make of all of this. I know nothing about electrical work, am stuck making all of the arrangements, and am on my last nerve with the whole thing. Because of unnecessary delays, we are now trying to move as quickly as possible considering the impending bad weather.
  Can you make any recommendations as to what I should do next, e.g., Schedule an electrical consultation with the building department for additional $$, schedule another site assessment with the electric company, find another electrician?
  Thank you!

Answer
Stacy
Who ever told you that you can splice a underground feeder service is correct. This must be done with a approved splice kit,also take into consideration that you are going from 100 amp to a 200 amp service you have to make sure that the wire size is adequate to handle any new loads.Most electrician don't recommend doing a splice one reason that will be the weakest point,if it is underground and not sealed off permanently it can start corroding. They make a splice kit that has a resin filled chamber in where the splice is filled with a resin to eliminate any leaks.Also if this wire is in a conduit then you can not splice it at all,there you would have to install some sort of hand hole,pedestal or approved J-box.All splices need to be accessible after installation, with the exception of direct burial splices in direct burial cable.

Article 300. Wiring Methods. Article 300 contains the general requirements for all wiring methods included in the NEC,
except for signaling and communications systems, which are covered in Chapters 7 and 8.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben