Electrical Wiring in the Home/VOLTAGE DROP

Question
AT THE CIRCUIT  BREAKER IN THE PANEL BOX I'M  GETTING  A GOOD  READING  OF 124VAC  HOWEVER  THE OUTLETS IN THAT CIRCUIT I'M ONLY GETTING  73VAC.  I  DONT KNOW WHERE  THE VOLTAGE DROP IS COMING FROM OR HOW TO FIND IT.  I HAVE ALREADY  LOOKED INTO  THE OUTLET  BOXES FOR WIRE NUT  ISSUSES OR BURNT TRACKS BUT HAVE FOUND NONE.  I HAVE ALREADY  REPLACED TWO OUTLETS AND WILL BE  SOON  REPPLACING  THE  OTHERS  TO  SEE IF THE OUTLETS ARE  SHORTED  OUT  INTERNALLY. PLEASE  HELP  I HAVE NEVER SEEN  THIS  ISSUSE  BEFORE

Answer
Robert,  I take it this phenomena came on suddenly,       anything noticeable that changed,  storm, brown out, black out,  power outage,  overload on something that tripped a breaker?

Any history before you found this problem would be a help, we need to find the root cause, so the problem does not come back,    

It doesn't sound like a voltage DROP    it sounds like some sort of open or intermittent open neutral connection somewhere,      

So this is not a problem on the entire supply, just one circuit?  Correct?

Sounds like you have done the visual,  on all the effected outlets,  anything else on that circuit?

A good tool would be a non contact voltage meter,  a large pencil looking device,   that you can use to trace where the voltage stops or drops,  while the meter does not have a meter, it simply beeps,  but you should be able to trace most of the circuit,  behind sheetrock  so on,   the tool is not expensive and for electrical problems is a great tool to own,     

Without me hand listing the steps  I am going to provide you with a link,   please read the intro, then drill down to your specific problem and follow the trouble shooting steps,   

Since you have only one outlet that does not provide full voltage across hot and neutral then this outlet is a branch end. So unless you have an illegal hidden junction box or the very unlikely broken neutral wire, the bad neutral connection is happening at the outlet upstream of this one going back to the breaker distribution panel. This outlet might be on the other side of the wall or along the wall in the direction to the breaker panel.

A common problem that fits your symptoms was that at one time outlets were permitted to have spring loaded knife edges to make a connection to a bared wire. Over time these springs would fatigue and stop making a good connection. This design did save an electrician a little time in wiring a house. But over time these weak springs could and have started more an electrical fire.

If you have a hidden junction box though, then you will likely have to remove some sheet rock.

The point above is to check switches also,  and for the price of new outlets,  spend little time on diagnostics of the outlets,  keep them and examine later, but start at the first apparatus you can identify be it a switch or outlet, and replace it,     

Now for the diagnostic steps   :

http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/

Go the website above and read through it,  very short read,  then follow the steps one at a time, be prepared to replace outlets and switches,   also if you find several,   maybe consider replacing all outlets in your home or wherever this is,   if the failed circuit is worn out or failing outlets or switches,  I would consider replacing all of them as you can,  no reason to poor a bunch of money into all new breakers at once, ONCE YOU CLEAR THE IMMEDIATE problem,  but after that,  and a close look at the offending devices if that is the problem,   get a good grade of new outlets to prevent this from happening on another circuit,

The Circuit Detective, due to rising costs [I have NO affiliation with his site but it is done well,  may need to charge 10 bucks,  it is worth it,  as you have diagnostic trees or yes no answers,  whatever you are more comfortable with,  but the 10 bucks is damn cheap for a well thought through site,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you just cannot find the problem,  get back with me,  my company is MEAR Services in Kansas City,  repair@mearservices.com   as long as we are not on the phone for hours and hours we are happy to help no charge,     

William Babbitt  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt