Electrical Wiring in the Home/wonky wiring

We were recently replacing a light switch in the hallway.  We turned off the circuit breaker and when we turned it on, the light switch which operates the outlet that turns on and off the lamp in the living room, now also controls the outlet that our television and other electronics are plugged into. How can we correct this?

It sounds like the wire going to the other outlets accidently got connected on the switched side of the wiring.  You can carefully use a tester on the switch screw and see which side is hot when the switch is on but not hot when the switch is off.  The only wire that should be connected to this is the wire going to the light.  If there are two wires, connect one to the wiring that goes to the other screw, which will be hot all the time.  If the light stays on, reverse the wires.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.