Electrical Wiring in the Home/3 Way Switch

3 Way Diagram
3 Way Diagram  
QUESTION: Attached is a diagram of how the 3 way switches are wired in my house built in 1974.  The person that wired this did not have or chose not to use 3 conductor wire and took this short cut.  I have some questions.  Is there anything wrong with this?  Is it dangerous?  Have you seen 3 ways wired like this?  Should I unhook these and go to a single switch?  Is there another way to wire this using the 2 circuits that would be better or safer.  

Thank you!

Yes there is something wrong with it, its not how a 3 way setup is supposed to be wired by todays standards and code.
Maybe thats what they had on hand at that time and as long as it worked and it was safe they did it that way.

I have seen funky setups like that over the years yes.

I wouldn't say its dangerous but the power for the light originates from two different panel locations which is wrong code wise and can be confusing or at least make a lay person like yourself wonder if this is correct or not. The "hot" (black) and the neutral (white) must come from the same panel. So no, there is no other way to wire this from two different panels.

Thank you for the response.  If this was your house how would you address this?  I guess it has been this way for 40 years.  The basement is totally finished so it won't be an easy task to correct this by running new wire.

While its technically not correct its not a potential hazzard either. Being the wiring is in a "finished" area and would be expensive to change I would just leave it alone and be mindful of how it was done in the event it ever had to be worked on for some reason.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.