Electrical Wiring in the Home/4500w on a 4000w Line Power Thermostat

The jist of my question is the above. I have 3 - 6 foot space heaters that are from around 2002-ish I am told. My understanding is these are 220v and they are about 1500 watts each. Right now all 3 are hooked up a single dial 240v line power thermostat that is pretty much useless because it never turns off.

I'm looking at a programmable model, but I can only find a model that goes up to 4000 watts. Would I be running a serious risk if I was potentially putting up to 4500 watts through one of these? I assume they should be able to handle slightly more than what they are rated for, but I didn't want to push it.

If that wouldn't work, is there any potential to run a relay and install a normal thermostat? I have heard of it being done, but I don't know the logistics.

Many thanks -Mike

Don't exceed the limits of the thermostat. If you have a fire God forbid your insurance company could give you problems.

You could do a relay but that would best be left to a qualified professional to do as to where and how to wire that into your current set up.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.