Electrical Wiring in the Home/Adding a ground wire

Question
We just bought a house that was built in 1959.
The house is mostly still wired with the single casing, 2 wire to two-prong outlets.
Can a ground be added while leaving the existing wires in place?

Answer
Everyone disagrees with each other about this. But in my opinion, the only safe way is to change the wiring rather than just adding a single wire.

The only other option is to use GFCI outlets. There should be a sticker on the outlets saying "no equipment ground."
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle