Electrical Wiring in the Home/aerial wiring - replacing a single bare wire

Question
The main panel (150 amps) has a 50-amp circuit with a cable with two insulated black wires and one uninsulated wire, all encased in gray plastic(?), which runs through the house and then out and up a corner wall.  There the circuit connects to three separate wires which run to our barn (each wire separately, 9 or so inches apart) where there is a subpanel.  Halfway there, the wires are also connected to the well house which has an older fuse box (240 v., I think), which powers the well's water pump.  In the first span, the bare wire has snapped.  I am looking to repair the circuit, but am having problems understanding exactly what I need.  I thought I could just replace the wire that snapped, but no one in my area has anything like it.  Reading other posts, I assume the best answer is to replace the three wires with one 3 conductor cable with ground.  But, how do I connect that to the 2-conductor-with-ground cable coming through the house?  If I do use a new 3+1 cable, how does the bare wire get connected at each building?

Answer
Bruce,

Keep it simple and just fix whats broken. If you try to replace the entire cable you'll be dealing wih even more connections and what for ? Deal with the one wire and at the most your redoing two connections. If you can rejoin the two ends that split its even simpler but you would have to have enough slack in the line to do that and be able to keep enough constant tension on both lines long enough to make the repair which is easier said than done. You might be better off just running a new wire from point to point. Purchasing 1 wire which is all you need will be cheaper and less hassle than running a new 3 wire cable. Assuming the existing cables are in decent condition thats the route I would advise you to take. HD or lowes should have #8 or #6 THHN stranded "building wire". You said it was a 50 amp line so it should one of those two sizes.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman