Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electronics cutting off

I have a fairly new home, about 6 years old.  Today, the TV started suddenly cutting off by itself.  Every time, I could turn it back on, but it would happen again in a few minutes.  This happened about 5 times in a 20-minute period.  I would have assumed it was a problem with the TV itself, except that every time the TV shut off, I could also hear a click/pop coming from the kitchen, 12 feet away (I think it was coming from the refrigerator, but not sure).  This led me to think it may be an electrical issue.  Nothing but the TV actually cut off when this happened- all clocks, etc. stayed on so it wasn't a power outage.  There was nothing turned on in the house at the time other than the TV, refrigerator etc., so I don't think it was an overload problem.  It's been over an hour and all has been fine, but I'm still concerned- what could have caused this and is it a safety issue?

You are on the right trail, the receptacle you suspect or one of the receptacles in the kitchen area that made the poping sound is most likely causing the problem which is a connection issue and needs to be addressed as it will happen again and again till its fixed.

Pull the receptacle out you suspect is the one and check the connections (screws) on the sides of the receptacle. You may or may not see damage at this point around the screws which is where the wires connect to the receptacle. Make sure all the screws are tight. It is possible you may have "back wired" receptacles where the wires just go into the back of the receptacle with out the screws being used. With this method you may not see anything either but remove the wires from the back of the receptacle and reterminate them on the screws. "back stabbing" wires into devices is not a reliable connection method and could very well be your problem. Keep pulling the receptacles in that area of the kitchen till you find the trouble maker. If you see damage just replace the receptalce with a new one and use the screws to connect the wire's.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.