Electrical Wiring in the Home/Main breaker box

I live in riverside county, in So. Calif.
my home was built around 1975.
I remodeled 3years ago and the electrician added two sub-panels to carry the load for the additional space.
I am discussing a solar panel system with a local company.
They tell me that my 200 amp main box is maxed out.  That it actually calculates out at 217 amps. So I will have to upgrade the system to225 amps or to 400 amps if I think I'm ever going to instal a spa or pool in the future, before they could install the solar system and accomodate the solar feed back into the the Edison system.
The main breaker box doesn't have a label, tag or imprint.  However, the main breaker is a Bryant,
BJ 2200 type BJ, CU-AL-#2-300MCM and has not been replaced in the 28 years I have lived in the house, so I presume that the box is a,Bryant.
My question is;  Is it possible to retro fit the breaker box rather than tear it out?  If possible I would go ahead and refit,it to 400 amps to cover the future spa idea.

A breaker panel is a manufactured device and receives its UL listing as such. Any modification of the panel will void the UL listing and if there was ever a fire or other event and the panel was identified as the most likely problem, it would void an insurance claim. In my area the maximum residential service is 250 amps, I would check with the utility before making any changes, have a licensed electrican do a load test also to see if the information is correct on the 215 estimate as this sounds very high for a residential service. Also if you exceed the maximum residential service it will be considered a commercial service and you will be paying a higher cost per KWH. I have a 100+ year old home that is 2500 sq ft, plus a 1200 sq ft garage. I have two heat pumps in my home and one in the garage, so a total of 6 tons of heat pump and I am only on a 200 amp service. Hope this helps, thanks for asking, J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook

General electrical wiring, including but not limited to, residential, panelboards, control wiring, low voltage wiring, Heating and A/C control wiring, single and three phase wiring.

I have been doing electrical since high school. I have been licensed by the State of North Carolina for ten years and am currently the Building Maintenance Superintendent for a municipality. I have extensive control wiring experience.

Refrigeration Service Engineers Society.