Electrical Wiring in the Home/making fan work without having light on

Question
I have a bathroom which has the light switch on the hall wall outside the bathroom. Inside the bathroom is a GFCI and a fan. The only way the fan and the GFCI work is if the light is switched on. I would like to be able to have the fan run independently of the light, and the GFCI run independently of the light. How do I wire the setup?
The light switch has 3 sets of wires coming into the box. All the whites are joined together. 1 black wire is on the top of the light switch. The other 2 black wires are attached to the bottom of the switch. The ground wires are all grounded to the box.
The fan switch and the GFCI are in a double box. There are 3 sets of wires coming into to the box. Everything is grounded. All the white wires are joined together. The fan switch has 1 black wire on top which goes to the fan. The bottom of the switch has 1 black wire that goes to the top of the GFCI. The last black wire is on the bottom of the switch and it heads into the wall, but I'm not sure where it leads. The GFCI has 1 black wire on top, coming from the fan switch. It has 1 black wire on the bottom that also heads into the wall, but I'm not sure where it leads. There are 2 white wires on the GFCI which join the white bundle.
How do I arrange the wires so that the fan and the GFCI work without the light needing to be on?
Thanks.

Answer
Hi.

If the power comes into the switch box first, then all you need to do is to change the wire going to the fan from one side of the switch to the other. In other words, the black wire going to the fan switch and GFCI should connect to the same wire bringing power to the switch, rather than to the side of the switch that connects to the bathroom light.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle