Electrical Wiring in the Home/All outlets on same breaker

I have an old 2Br home built I think around 1945.  All the outlets in the house are on the same breaker! I have no heat in the house and it's getting cold here.  Wanted to plug up my space heaters, but the breaker trips every time.  Currently there is a 15A tandem breaker.  The top controls all the outlets in the home and the bottom controls all the lights in the home.  The only outlets that are not on this circuit are the washer and dryer, the range/stove, and the built in microwave/range hood.  I do not have any extra money to call an electrician to run new wire, I was wondering if I could use a 20A or even larger breaker here?  I kind of think that the wrong size breaker was put in before I moved in.  The microwave circuit has a 30A breaker on it and it's the only thing connected to that circuit.  Thanks for your help! Oh and plugged up in the house I have the refrigerator, one LED flat screen tv, one old tv, a gaming system (XBox), one laptop, one DVD player and one electric radiant oil heater

If you put in a larger breaker, you are likely to have an electrical fire.  When you overload the wire, it becomes hot and ignites.  So, do not put in a bigger breaker.  If the house was built near 1945, it is unlikely that the circuit is anything but a 15 amp circuit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.