Electrical Wiring in the Home/Strange

In preparing dinner my wife was running a hand held electric mixer that was plugged into the same outlet as my coffee grinder.  When she turns the mixer on, my grinder started up.  When she turned it off, the grinding stopped.  We did this several times and it continued each time.  What was also strange is the the light on the power light on the grinder did not come on even though the appliance was operating.  Obviously we have unplugged everything from that outlet, have you ever seen this and what should we do?

It sounds like the two outlets are in series with each other.  It means that a white wire is disconnected somewhere.  The outlets are probably in series at 220 volts, so one side could get more than 110 volts, the other side less, so it could damage anything plugged in. Since there are most likely two circuits involved, be careful that both are off when working on the wires.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.