Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring issue


I had a cieling fan on a dimmer existing.  A power outage knocked it out so it was the only light in the house that did not work.  I just replaced the light, but it would not switch off.  I used another plain switch and it would not turn off. What did i do wrong or have just not done yet?

If you used a plain switch, and it did not turn off, it is wired wrong. Did you replace the fan? The light kit?  The bulb?  Did you connect it back exactly where the old one was? The black wire for the light kit might have to be connected to a red wire. (If the old one was.)

Is it only the light connected to the dimmer?  The fan motor should not be connected to a dimmer.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.