Electrical Wiring in the Home/3wire

I need to move a light switch to a new electrical box.  From an electrical box with a 2-wire coming from a light and a 2-wire power source can I take a 3-wire and run to a new electrcal box to be used solely as the new light switch?  I know I could do this by running two 2-wires to the new box but i would like to do it with just one 3-wire.  For clarification I only need the light switch to work at the new electrical box.

You can do it with 2 wires, plus the bare ground. The white wires would connect to each other. You would need only to extend the two black wires. (You can use the new white wire as one of the black wires, but put black tape on it, so that it is marked as hot.

Be aware, that you can not remove or bury the old box. It has to be accessible with a blank cover.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.