Electrical Wiring in the Home/ceiling lamp

Question
have only a black and white wire coming out of the ceiling box.  Hanging lamp has only (table lamp type wire) a wire that when split has no indication of being black or white.  How do I know which to attach to hot wire in box........or white to white

Answer
Hi.

If you can trace the wires back to the socket (sometimes lamp cord has writing on one side, or one side is grooved), then the wire that connects to the bottom button of the socket is black, and the wire that connects to the side threaded part is white.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle