Electrical Wiring in the Home/ceilingfanlightblowout

Question
all 3 ceiling fan light bulbs blew out all at same time . No breaker kicked out. fan works fine. could it be bad switch, or what appears to be a capacitor. No values on capacitor

Answer
Richard, how old of a fan are we dealing with?  Have the bulbs be lighting fine for a reasonable period of time?

I doubt the switch is the issue,  although a carboned up switch with bad contacts could create a "surge"  or high resistance connection,   but doubtful.

I really need history on this,   if you just put them in,  versus the bulbs working for some time  too different situations.

The capacitor device I am not sure what exactly your are referring to,  there may well be a capacitor in the fan itself  but it would be for the motor,  should be no cap for the light bulbs,  normally a ceiling fan has a light kit, and is really nothing more than an add on hanging light fixture,   now sometimes there is a blocking device,  that might be in the circuit,  it's function is to absorb the back emf or back voltage when the motor stops, so it doesn't spike,  but that is also pretty rare, for one of those to fail,    

Got anyway to measure the open circuit voltage at the light fixtures?  I would like to know what that voltage is.

It sounds like some kind of surge or spike,   anything else in the room or house act up?

Any power outages, storms, black outs, brown outs, anything like that?

Lets start with measuring the open circuit voltage at the sockets,    that will tell us what the nominal voltage is now,         

Next we will have to look at the schematic and see if there IS some sort of resistor or blocking device between the motor of the fan and light kit,    maybe it did fail and is letting the back emf act as a surge and taking out your light bulbs,     

But I need some history,  is this a new house, new fan,  or fan that has been there a while and no problems ever with the light bulbs,     

You can change out the light switch, if is a wall controlled switch,    it should be  single pole switch and nothing special,  now if it is a dimmer,   maybe something is going on,     so do the cost effective thing,  if it is a simple light switch,  for a few bucks you can change it out,      but first we need the open circuit voltage,   

If it is some sort of dimming switch, those can cost a bit, so until we know more,  no sense in spending 20 or thirty bucks on a dimmer when we are not sure,   

Get me some voltage readings, and some history in your own words so we can get a baseline to work from,        the answer to your question is yes maybe on either the switch or capacitor looking device,   but until we get more data,  hard to narrow down,    

let me know and we will work from there,

Will
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt