Electrical Wiring in the Home/Dryer Running: Electric or Gas

Question
My home was built in 1959. The breaker says its 100(AMPS I assume). Although I have a gas hookup for a dryer, I have never used one and thought I could still use an electric(It was cheaper for me). I went to the hardware store and bought the correct cord for the electric dryer, the rep had an older home and pointed me to it. I have only had the dryer 3 days and the dryer runs constantly on any setting, unless the door is opened or I move it to off because it does not time-out. I put a load in last night and it ran all night. I put in new ventilation coils and all anyone can tell me is I should have a gas dryer not electric and that's why it runs constantly. Is it true I am not able to have an electric dryer because my breaker is 100 not 200 and the outlets are grounded into the breaker? I can return the dryer and get a different one, but need to make sure buying a gas one is necessary since it costs more.

Answer
The most likely problem is you only have 110 volts feeding the dryer.
However, with only 100 amps feeding your house you might want to consider going with gas on your dryer. That would free some amps for other circuits.
If you really want the electric dryer then have the voltage checked out at your dryer outlet.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes