Electrical Wiring in the Home/open ground

Question
QUESTION: I just bought a house and some of the outlets are showing open ground when I changed from to prong to three prong outlets. looking further I noticed some have two sets of wires coming in to the box one set with a ground and one set without. how do I handle this to ground these outlets properly

ANSWER: Bob,

How old is the house and are the cables going into these boxes "BX" (spiraling metal covering)
and or Romex (plastic covering). Romex will have a separate bare ground wire and "BX" will not.

Bob

QUESTION: The house was built in 1916, it's Romex in parts and black covering in parts

Answer
Bob,

Yes you have what I like to call the "original romex" that does not have a ground wire in it. This particular cable has a thick black outer covering and held by thick staples. Last year I ripped a lot of it out of a house in NJ along with its fore runner "knob and tube" wiring which also lacks a grounding wire.

You can handle the lack of a "grounding means" (wire or metal outer covering) by protecting those circuits with GFI breakers or receptacles which is one of 2 legal ways of doing it. The other way is running a separate "grounding wire" to each metal box in the circuit which could prove to be very time consuming not to mention challenging. The GFI's are probably the way to go with the breaker being the best option because you can protect the circuit right out of the panel. If you have fuses which is a good possibility in a 1916 house in PA, you would have to use a GFI receptacle in a separate box by the panel and intercept that circuit there.

By the way unless you go the more challenging route you will have to remove the "grounding" type receptacle's you put in and reinstall new 2 prong receptacles like the ones you took out. The reason being the presence of a "grounding" type receptacle suggests that there is a "grounding" connection at the box when there is none in reality.

If you can get rid of the black cable all together and rewire so much the better.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman