Electrical Wiring in the Home/oven wiring

I am trying to connect a stove which was running on 1 phase.

Circuit diagram shows 1 phase powers the oven/grill the second phase powers hotplates. The new place has 2 red wires which i think is 2 phase.

Do i have to remove a link internally to make oven run on 2 phases? I can't remember if there was a link between actives when i removed wiring from original location. If therewas a link between actives

have connected 1 red wire to L1 the other red wire to L2. Black to N and earth. The model is Westinghouse Kimberley 501. have not powered circuit breaker yet.

Thank you in advance for your help

ANSWER: Peter,

You don't have two phase's just one. You do however have 2 "actives" which make up a "single phase".

Just make sure you have 220 - 240 volts between the two red wires. Connect the two red wires to L1 and L2 as you have it. It does not matter which red wire goes to L1 or L2. The black will go to N as you now have it. If there had been a link between "actives" it would have blown a fuse or circuit breaker. No link needed or wanted there. You should be cooking Christmas eve dinner by tonight.  Enjoy

QUESTION: hi bob and thanks for detailed response.
just to clarify. do you mean even previously with only 1 active connected there was no need and to have a link between 2 actives?
thank you

Your appliance requires 2 "actives" as it shows on the wiring diagram which supplies the 240 volts the appliance needs to operate. I did not see anything on the diagram to indicate the appliance could be hooked up with one "active" or that you as the end user can make adjustments inside the appliance beyond L1 and L2.

In other words the appliance runs on 220-240 volts. If thats what you have when you measure the voltage between the two red wires then put them on L1 and L2. And if the black wire is the "ground" after testing for that then connect it to the "ground" terminal on the stove and your done. The appliance should work the way its supposed to.

I can't speak for what some one else did before I can only tell you how it should be.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.