Electrical Wiring in the Home/possible blown neutral

Question
How easy is it to find a blown neutral? Several outlets no longer work and one section of our 3rd floor lighting does not work, after our treadmill was moved to a new location and the power went out after about 2 minutes of use. I checked the circuit breaker box, but it does not seem to have been tripped. A simple tester indicates that there is power if you connect one side to ground.

Answer
Hi.

There is no fuse or breaker for the neutral.  The wire has become disconnected somewhere.  Check all of the wire nuts on the circuit.  Also check if the wires were pushed into the back of the outlets rather than screwed to the sides.  If anything on the circuit still works, don't rule it out, since the problem could be where the wire leaves that device going to the next one.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle