Electrical Wiring in the Home/range wiring

Question
I just purchased a new GE range. Plugged it in. Burners worked but nothing else. Checked voltage at the box where pigtail slips in. Recorded 240 between 2 hot wires and 120 each side between hot and neutral which I believe is correct. When I plug in new pigtail in box and test voltage at stove connections I still have 240 between 2 hot wires but the voltage between hot and neutral on one side reads like 230 on one side and 20 some volts on the other. What could cause this?

Answer
Harry,

The problem is either with the oven or with your electrical system.

I would start at reading the instructions for the oven to make sure all the settings are correct and you do not have any "lock out" features.
(I have seen this on some newer electrical ovens)

If the problem is not with the oven then I would check your wiring in the panel and outlet. Make sure the neutral is tight at both places.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes