Electrical Wiring in the Home/SPLIT RECEPTACLES CONTROLLED BY 3 WAY SWITCHES

Question
CAN I ADD 2- 3 WAY SWITCHES TO AN EXITING SINGLE POLE CONTROLLED  SPLIT RECEPTACLE? POWER IS COMING FROM THE LAST RECEPTACLE IN THE  LINE  14-3 IS RUNNING THRU ALL RECEPTACLES AND ENDS AT 1ST 3 WAY SWITCH AND THEN 14-3 TO 2ND 3 WAY SWITCH. COULD YOU EXPLAIN HOW TO WIRE SWITCHES OR SHOW DIAGRAM . THANK YOU

Answer
Hi.

Yes you can, but you have to run the wire for the second switch to the first switch.  You can't connect it anywhere else.

You will need to run 3 conductor (plus ground) wire between the switches. If you look at the screws on the switches, you will see one is a different color.  Disconnect your old switch and connect one wire that was on the old switch to the odd color screw on the new switch in that box.  Connect the black wire going to the other switch to the wire that went to the other screw of the old switch.  At the new far away switch, connect the black wire to the odd color screw.  Connect the white and red at each end to the other screws at both switches. Put a piece of black tape on the white wire to show it is hot.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle