Electrical Wiring in the Home/suspected ceiling fan/light fixture combo wiring conundrum

Hello Greg,

following situation: installing a new light fixture in the ceiling. The box has 1 black hot wire (tested)  with a 6" black wire pigtailed to it, 1 black hot wire (tested) with a 6" red wire pigtailed to it, one hot white wire (tested) with a 6" baby blue wire pigtailed to it, two twisted grounds not connected to anything and one white neutral (tested).  on the wall there are 3 dim switches. I know that in the past in this room there was track lighting. I suspect that prior to that there may have been a ceiling fan with light, or maybe even track and ceiling fan at the same time. My new light fixture has a black hot a white neutral and a ground. I would like to be able to use one of the 3 dimmers to control that new fixture. advice and help greatly appreciated. dave USA Philadelphia.

Determine which switch you would like to use, then determine which of those pigtails is controlled by that switch (test pigtail to neutral in the ceiling box).

Put a wire nut on the other two pigtails you are not going to use.

Connect your black wire from the new fixture to the pigtail you want to use.

Connect your white from the new fixture to the neutral, ground to ground.

Hope that helps.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.