Electrical Wiring in the Home/240 outlet

Question
if your home has a 240 outlet and you have a 110 or120 what do you do please help

Answer
Hi.

If it is a dryer or range that has a black, red and white, you can get 110 between either the red and the white or the black and the white.  Cap off the one you don't use.

If you have only a black and white, then you need to move the white wire in the breaker box from the breaker to the neutral bar. But be careful working in the breaker box. Even with the main turned off, you can get a shock if you touch the wrong thing.

Be aware of the amperage too.  General lighting circuits can be only 15 or 20 amps.  If the breaker is larger, then you would need to get one with less amps. You should never get a larger one, because that would be a fire hazard.

Of course, the outlet would have to be changed too.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle