Electrical Wiring in the Home/box fan dimmer

I've added a dimmer switch to a box fan and it worked.  My question is, is it possible to make the fan spin even slower?  Would adding another dimmer switch accomplish this?  Is there a different way to lower the voltage getting to the fan?

Hi Emily,

Installing a dimmer switch on a box fan in not recommended by the manufactures. It is not electrically correct and not allowed. I have yet to find the reason for this. My guess is you a have a remote chance of overheating the dimmer and causing a fire. I have see it done many times but as an electrician I can not recommend at dimmer to control a fan. There are special 3 speed fan controls that look like dimmers.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.