Electrical Wiring in the Home/Changing 220v to 110v wiring?

Question
Bob, our home was built in the 60's with 220v baseboard heat. when we got gas, we began renovations and removed heaters and wiring back to the wall thermostat boxes which were hot feeds. then replaced double pole 20 amps breakers with 15 amp 110 singles. Because all walls and ceilings were finished, we the added up to 3 110v plugs and 14/2 to the junction box and cover plates, marreted all connections. this has been 10 years, now and recently roof leak caused steam to from one outlet and it never tripped, I assume because of the guages. Would GFI's be a solution? I now this is not the proper way to wire? What would you suggest. Thanks Ed.

Answer
Ed,

The roof leak could have sent water into anything electrcial with in the house like a light fixture with a similar result so as long as your connections are still good and tight I would just let the box dry out, check the connections again, clean up any corrosion and let it ride.

The breaker never tripped because there was probably very litte amperage flowing to produce the steam. Water leaking into the interior house wiring is a fairly rare event and in my opinion does not warrant putting GFI protection in. Outside is a different story of course.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman