Electrical Wiring in the Home/dryer plug

Question
i recently purchased a dryer and when i plug it in to my plug it doesn't get hot so i checked for voltage on the plug and I'm getting 118 out of each leg is this going to effect a 240 volt dryer

Answer
Hi Michael,

This is a common problem. You have a bad connection somewhere. I would call in an electrician for this. You need to find the bad connection and get it tightened up. Since the voltage will be high I don't recommend that you try this yourself. It would be an easy fix for an electrician

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz