Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical
My microwave, sink light and disposer went out. checked breaker not tripped,the circuit handles kitchen lights, fan, laundry light and bath light, exhaust fan, and the above components. I have power to every switch and receptacle. all works except for microwave, sink light and disposer, I am reading 120 on all, and checked all neutrals for good connection, ok.I replaced receptacle to micro, and 2 switches to light and disposer. when it happened the light was on and microwave was on, if you can help I would be grateful. Thanks
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
Electricity is fire in a box!
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
TURN THE POWER OFF WHEN WORKING!
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
Somewhere in there, you have made a misinterpretation of the facts.
If you had 120 volts and a good neutral, your microwave, light and disposal would work.
Since you read 120 volts [what points are you reading from and to?], I am guessing that your ungrounded conductor [hot] is good.
This leaves a bad intentionally grounded conductor [neutral] as the problem. [Anyway, is this microwave an over-the-stove replacement for a hood fan?]
I suspect that all these have the switch box as the common point, which is probably fed from the ceiling light box in the kitchen or dining room or from a bedroom receptacle right above the switches [nearest 120 source] that is still working. Look for a bad splice at the source lights or the switch box or for a burned up speed-wire terminal at the source receptacle.
Look at the kitchen and the nearby house, including the upstairs and basement. Think about where YOU would get power from if you were grabbing a feed for those items, considering where the other outlets are [Kitchen receptacles don't count]! Would it have been easier to come from the bathroom light switch or the laundry room?
Think like the electrician that built the house!