Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical outlet

I had a receptacle that stopped working.this at first didn't effect any other outlets, but when I took it out to replace it, the outlet in another bedroom also went out.the problem at first was that there were 2 white wire and one black wire. one of the white wire was hot so I connected the hot to the hot and the white to the neutral and black to the ground. the bedroom outlet worked,but no current in out outlet that was effected. then i took the receptacle out and checked the wire with voltmeter. no current in either outlet. checked the breaker, it had no current. I replaced the breaker and got the current, but still no current in either outlet wires. do you have any idea before I call an electrician.

I would connect everything back the way it was.  The white wire is probably neutral. It seemed hot because you were getting feedback in it. You probably have a disconnected wire somewhere on the circuit. It could even be at a device that works, because it could be the wire coming out of the working device that is disconnected.  Check all of the wire nuts.  The push in tabs on the back of the outlets can cause problems, so it is better to reconnect the wires on the screws if any wires are pushed in.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.