Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical wiring in the home

Question
I am not sure what is going on with my electrical system. I have an old farm house, all electrical has been traced(it was supposed to be all re done but the Electrician didn't do that. The 2 upstairs bedrooms, master bedroom and livingroom on the main florr all wall outlets are working but the overhead lights are not and one wall outlet in the diningroom is not working either. We have lived here 4 years and all worked til this morning. I could understand if it was rooms next to each other but these are upstairs and opposite sides of the house. The electrician labeled the box for wall outlets for each room but not the lights.. Possibly they are all on the same circuit but the panel box appears fine and all nreakers are on. When I got home from work all the lights were working again and wall outlets but after I flicked on the livingroom light they all shut off again. Still no change in the panel breakers?

Answer
Is it possible that half of the house is having problems?  It would be every other breaker in the box. If that is the case, one of the two main hot wires between the pole and the breaker box has problems. It could be the power company or the house wiring.

I would take care of this right away, since loose wires could arc and overheat.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle