Electrical Wiring in the Home/High Voltage Receptacle

I bought a house 1 year ago and am fixing it up. It is from 1884 and is remodeled into a duplex.
We just removed electric heat upstairs and put in a gas furnace.
This is background pertaining to the question.
In the bathroom there were no outlets/receptacles. Down by the ground there was an electric heater. I don't know what the contractor did but after I removed the electric heater I believe that he connected the wires and put wire nuts on. It got patched over and there is now a sink in front of where the heater was.
So in the same room (bathroom) up above where the heater had been, he left one cord hanging out of the wall (includes black - hot, white - neutral, and bare - grounded).
So I connected a grounded outlet with two receptacles to it in a box, placed it in the wall, etc.
Now when we plug an appliance into this outlet it is just screaming and revving. I had an electric drill plugged into a normal outlet and it works fine. But when I plug it in there it is going double time. Also, I plugged in a vacuum to it and it burnt up the belt from going too fast.
My question is this: what could cause such a thing and how can I fix it? BTW The house is old and there are outlets that don't work at various places in the house. I have checked them and just wire nutted them together and put a solid plate on.
Thank you for reading this. Thank you for your help.

The white wire is not neutral in this case, it is another hot wire. When you have two hot wires on opposite phases, you have 220 volts.  Most baseboard heaters are 220 volts.  Someone would need to go into the breaker panel, and disconnect the white wire from the breaker and place it where the neutrals are, on the neutral bar.  You have to be careful when working in the breaker box. Even when the main is off, some parts are still energized.

Make sure nothing else gets plugged into it until it is fixed.  Also, you need a GFCI in the bathroom.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.