Electrical Wiring in the Home/HOME ELECTRIC


First I had a outlet burn out so I replaced it, then the lights to the two rooms and outlets stopped working, the tester indicated that the ground was reversed. So behind the light switch I fixed it temporary by putting the wires together while I get a professional electrician out here. Now when I turned on a light switch a big pop sounded and the breaker went off so I switched it back on now twice I hear a popping sound, without nothing turning on or plugged in. Do you know what it could be??


The reverse reading was a false reading caused by a neutral wire being loose or disconnected.  By connecting the wires together, you got a short circuit. If you keep turning the breaker on, you can cause a fire.  I would leave the breaker off until the electrician can fix it.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.