You are here:

Electrical Wiring in the Home/Light Switch is HOT to touch and sparks


We have just purchased a home and when we moved in we noticed every time we turn on our bathroom light for even a few minutes, the switch gets very hot.  The longer its on, the hotter it gets.  I just noticed also last night that when i switched it on and off, it sparked and made a sizzle sound briefly.

It is a dimmer switch and runs 8 lights total.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,


Turn the breaker off, and do not turn it back on until it is fixed.

Replace the dimmer.  It might be best just to use a switch.  If you are still getting sparking and can not see where it is coming from, call an electrician.

If you replace the dimmer, make sure it is rated for the wattage of bulbs.  Make sure the bulbs are incandescent.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2016 All rights reserved.