Electrical Wiring in the Home/Multiple wires in hall light fixture outlet.

So I decided to take an old light fixture out and put in a new one.  The light fixture is in my hall.

To my surprise after removing the light switch there are 5 sets of wires coming out of the ceiling and I didn't like the way they were connected so I disconnected all of them. BIG MISTAKE.  I can't remember how they were connected and now I don't have a hall light and our switches to both bathrooms don't work!  

At first the Bathroom lights weren't working, but I was able to figure that one out. By connecting the bathroom light switch wires to the power in wires.

To Recap, as shown in the attached picture I have 3 pairs of wires left over that I have no idea what they do.  Also, the plugs in my bathroom and the hall light are out.

Without knowing where the wires go to, it's hard to say.  If there is a switch going to the fixture in that box, then you need to find out which wires go to the switch.  Both wires are hot, even though one will be white.  Buy a continuity tester, which is cheap.  Then, with the power off, check the continuity in each pair of wires.  The wires that show continuity with the switch on, but not with the switch off should be the switch wires.  Put a piece of tape on the white wire to show it is hot, and connect it to the black fixture wire.  Then after that, connect the remaining white wires together, and the remaining black wires together. This normally will fix things, but this is an educated guess.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.